Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Parking Not Fine

Warning! The following post isn't constructive or creative or related to work or anything artistic, it's just a rant!

I got a parking fine the other day, or a bus lane fine, or a Penalty Charge Notice. I thought it was a mistake. I don't drive in bus lanes, I hadn't parked anywhere I shouldn't have and I didn't think I'd gone down a one way street backwards.

Here's the letter:


and here's the photo from the back of the letter showing my car 'in' the bus lane:


I'd been driving to work on a clear road, following a white van which braked suddenly to turn right. I swerved to the left, moving into the bus lane for a fraction of a second in order to avoid the van. I'd got a £120 fine for doing this.

I've been driving for 20 years and through a mixture of good luck and common sense I've never been given a speeding ticket or had an accident. But living in the Borough of Newham, it's almost impossible to avoid getting tickets from cameras located at the top of masts and being monitored from afar. This is my third ticket.

The first ticket I received was for waiting outside Canning Town Tube station, in a lay by regularly used to pick people up and drop people off. It's regularly used because it's the only lay by there. I couldn't understand why I received a parking ticket for parking there. I stayed in my car for the duration I was waiting, which was no more than five minutes. After conversations with the council it transpired that whilst I'd been waiting in my car all along, I'd been waiting for more than four minutes, after which, by using a remote camera, the council are within their rights to fine people £120. There are no signs I am aware of informing people of this fact. I have no idea how many people have been fined this way.

The second ticket I received was when I took a wrong turn down a back road and accidentally drove over a raised part of the road which does have signs saying that cars are not allowed, but which although obvious, I managed to miss. It's a regular residential road which used to allow cars to pass but which for whatever reason no longer allows anything but emergency vehicles to pass. Again I was fined £120. You can see what I'm refering to here.

Here is a Google map showing the places I've been issued fines.

So with the arrival of this third ticket and what seems like a gross misuse of the power to issue tickets I decided to challenge the PCN. Here's what I wrote on 8th September 2010:



... and here's the response I got 3 months later ...




.... and here, presented in a top ten list, is why the response, and the whole situation has frustrated me enough to spend an hour of my time writing about it when I could be doing something much less boring instead....


  1. I accept that fines can be an effective way to enforce good road use and hence make the roads safer. Nonetheless, any objective analysis of the circumstances, and the photograph of the transgression would surely conclude that it is incorrect to fine someone for avoiding an accident or at the very least, driving safely.
  2. In my challenge to the parking fine I set out the point that I was challenging the parking fine on the basis that it had been issued with no consideration to road safety and this point, whilst being valid -  it's why they issue the fines in the first place, right? - was not addressed in any way.
  3. Despite not addressing my legitimate challenge to the PCN, the last line of the latest correspondence from Newham Council states 'Please note that Newham Council will not consider any further correspondence regarding this penalty charge until the enforcement notice is issued.' This means that I'm not allowed to address the fact that the council have completely ignored my challenge until the fine has changed from the reduced rate of £60 to £120. Furthermore we are talking about a lot of money here. For many people £60, or the full rate of £120 is a days wages and yet the council will not even enter into correspondence relating to genuine grievances and challenges.
  4. The first paragraph of the latest correspondence states 'I apologise for the delay in response which is due to a correspondence scanning backlog'. It took them 3 months to get this letter to me, but I only have 14 days to respond and pay the fine.
  5. If they have a 3 month backlog of correspondence, how many fines are they issuing?
  6. The whole second page of the councils correspondence is dedicated all the different ways to pay the fine, despite this being correspondence relating to a challenge of it. It's amazing, it's almost as if this system is designed to make money for the council rather than for the safety of the residence of the borough who the council are answerable to.
  7. It's a small one this, but why is the London Borough of Newham Parking and Traffic Enforcement section located at 218 miles away at PO Box 1125, Warrington? Why is it not located in the borough that it 'serves'?
  8. 1/4 mile up the same road on which I was issued a ticket it becomes impossible not to drive with two wheels in the bus lane. This is due to parked traffic and oncoming buses on the opposite lane. Everyone has to drive with two wheels in the bus lane. The council doesn't appear to issue tickets for these transgressions, so there seems to be little consistency to the way in which the fines are issued.
  9. I genuinely believe that I drive less safely now than before being issued with this fine. I avoid putting two wheels into the bus lane at all costs, even when it is the safe and sensible thing to do because of close oncoming traffic. It cannot be right that the council's policy relating to the issuing of PCN's causes people to drive less safely.
  10. Councils behaving in this way lead people to have no respect for, or trust in them. As a society we criticise people in our neighbourhoods for dropping litter or painting graffiti through to people not contributing to 'big society' or not paying their taxes and yet I honestly believe that Newham Council and others like them are leading the way in demonstrating how not to be a good and honest neighbour.


So, I don't think I need to say this, but I won't be paying the £60 reduced rate fine. According to their letter, I'm not able to correspond further with the council until my fine has gone up to the full £120. I'll  post here when I hear back from them. Has anyone else had an experience like this? ... something tells me I'm probably not the only one.

13 comments:

  1. Mate, what a ridiculous situation. It's unbelievable - yet, at the same time, sadly not that surprising. There are undoubtedly council pencilnecks everywhere, in all countries, up to this kind of pointless justify-my-very-existence-let-alone-my-job kind of thing.

    And what a cracking, thorough, level-headed, articulate and entirely rational response. You should follow this through to the nth degree, involving local and even national press where you can. Any TV shows over there that would pick this up? Is Esther Rantzen still around?

    Hoping your literary venting of the episode has gone some way to alleviating the annoyance. Consider this: buy yourself an old bus, and drive everywhere very slowly with two wheels in the main traffic lane, for while.

    Fine, it most certainly isn't.

    Angry,
    Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pauliep - haha - thanks for the comment - are you going to set up a 'pencil necks are ruining my life' group on facebook or am I. Better still, lets forget about it all and do something more worthwhile like sit at the end of banjo pier on deckchairs and moan about how the youth of today have no respect. I don't think Esther Rantzen is doing her show anymore. This item would work perfectly sandwiched in between a piece about phallic vegetables and letters read out by that bloke with the massive glasses.

    I'm considering the bus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. F*** Newham - they have cameras everywhere apart from Central Park toilets where 2 rapes recently occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nat, we have had fines for the exact same three situations you've had. I also challenged the bus lane fine as I had done EXACTLY what you had done, swerving to avoid an speeding oncoming van which forced my two wheels into the bus lane or risk a head on collision. We ended up paying up as we had the same letter and just didn't have the energy to fight it. It sucks. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon - strange how the cameras that are used for safety but which don't make the council money don't work. We'll lets face it, it's not strange at all - we all know whats going on.

    Jess - that is *fascinating* that you've had the exact same 3 fines. I'm going to use a freedom of information act request to see how many fines have been issued at these points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that bro. Set ups like this are pure money making machines, they are no different from clamping companies. You could just refuse to pay it, they aren't the police so can't give you points etc. They would threaten to take you to court but probably knew you'd have a good chance of winning in this case so may not bother. Loads of advice on this forum if you want to go down that road http://www.pepipoo.com/

    After saying that I'm sorry to say I would probably just pay it. I tried to fight a speeding ticket which I believed was unjustified and flawed but in the end paid up. Now I have an approach that fighting c**ts like these not only costs me more money and time but adds to lifes general stress levels and just makes me more angry. I tend to pay up and forget about it. Life's too short to let them get to you.

    The problem is however reasonable your argument they don't give a damn, you may as well say 'blah, blah, rubarb, rubarb' to them as it would have the same effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...search the Pepipoo forums for Newham and your far from alone.

    http://www.pepipoo.com/search-results.htm?cx=002954149332536547518:urx9dzjvubm&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8&q=newham&sa=Search&siteurl=forums.pepipoo.com%252F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous wrote on December 9, 2010 3:46am:
    "F*** Newham - they have cameras everywhere apart from Central Park toilets where 2 rapes recently occurred."

    No surprise there! Given the filth & scum who work for Newham Council (as with most inner London boroughs), the rapists are probably Council employees who either know where the cameras are, or have made sure there were no cameras covering that area. Of course the Police are far too stupid to catch anyone but motorists for made-up "offences".

    Some of the reasons that I left the UK...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the bus lane correctly signed? and the roadmarkings correct? if it isn't you were not driving in a bus lane the way I see things.

    Keep us all posted, I read so many threads start to finish without hearing the end result and I do wonder if its because some people don't like the pressure of fighting and pay up to avoid all further stress etc which is what the money grabbing councils rely on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This country has gone to the dogs and we are nothing but open wallets for the floundering puppeteers to cash in on. I have just received - moreover my address of 3 years past - has received a notice for driving in a bus lane, which I'm sure is nothing more than a wheel whilst passing a turning car - in an effort to allow the free-flow of traffic. I've asked for video evidence for my own record of going nuts and breaking the law (I didn't think I had it in me these days), as the poxy Council couldn't even muster a cheap photo. Regardless, we'll continue to pay for monkeys to watch a screen and issue an exorbitant fine for exercising a modicum of common sense - something the public sector appears to be absolutely devoid of. No doubt this rant amounts to some sort of crime against the state ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep a s**t list of companies are organisations that have aggrieved me. The problem is, as you get older the list gets so long -my list began with PC World and M&S - but now includes more problematic targets such as Italy and Turkey. I just don't know when I'll find time to wreak my revenge - Rambo style !

    ReplyDelete