Thursday, July 29, 2010

Top Films With Rock Bottom Budgets

I saw the film 'Primer' a couple of days ago. It was released in 2004 but I only heard of it recently. It's a movie about a group of scientist entrepreneurs looking to make their fortunes who come up with a mind blowing invention. I don't want to spoil the plot so can't go into too much detail (in fact, frustratingly, the nature of the film means that I can't really go into ANY detail), but suffice to say, it's the best film I've seen this year. For me, I know I've seen a good film when I keep thinking back to it beyond the day on which I watched it, and this is definitely one of those films.

For me, the brilliance of the film is all the more sweet because the writer / director / producer / actor Shane Carruth made the entire film on a budget of $7,000. For anyone who ever wanted to make a film, this is inspirational. Of course this isn't the only film made on a shoestring budget, far from it, there are countless films that have been made for, we are told, virtually nothing. But when one sees one of these films, if it stands up in it's own right - not just as a novelty because it's been made for such an amazingly small amount of money - it stands testimony to the fact that ultimately, it's the story that makes a good film. If you have a good story and you have the talent, passion and conviction, you can make a good film, money or not. This is more true now than it ever was - we live in an age where if you choose to, you can film and cut a feature on your mobile phone and broadcast it to the World using YouTube.

Here are some other films made on a shoestring (budget listed after the name) that are well worth checking out:


Also check out Driven - (budget £32,000 and counting) - this film is still in production, but it's shaping up to be awesome. It's being produced by my business partner Rob Fletcher, you can see a trailer here.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Nat, not seen the film that you write about, but will do my best to check it out on your recommendation.
    As for those that you mention, I'm not a fan of Blair Witch, but the marketing and suspense built around it was exceedingly good, and many people did enjoy it. Clerks on the other hand is 'up there' in my reckoning setting Lintlaker amongst the best of his genre.

    Robs film looks interesting too and I ahve no doubt that there's a happy ending, for the family and the taxi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Mark, you'll love Primer. Do you know I have no idea how Rob's film ends - it's a closely guarded secret. I know that Jackobine was completely in the dark about Alfred turning up in the Taxi, but I no nothing more than that.

    ReplyDelete